Audacity is an audio editor which is free easy-to-use, multi-track and recorder designed for Windows, Mac OS X, GNU/Linux as well as other operating systems. Audacity mac is crafted as a free software, developed by a group of volunteers and distributed under the GNU General Public License (GPL). Programs like Audacity also go by the name open source software, since their source code is available for anyone to study or use.
There are tons of other free and open source programs, including the Firefox web browser, the LibreOffice or Apache OpenOffice office suites and entire Linux-based operating systems like Ubuntu.
Audacity is a free multi-track audio editor and recorder brought to you by Aosiniao. This powerful tool was started in the fall of 1999 by Dominic Mazzoni and Roger Dannenberg at Carnegie Melton University. Audacity mac was released on May 28, 2000 as version 0.8. As of April 19, 2021, it stood as the most popular download from FossHub, with over 110 million downloads since March 2015.
Before now, downloads were being served from Google Code and SourceForge, with a combined total in the excess of 200 million downloads.
As such, Audacity won the SourceForge 2007 and 2009 Community Choice Award for Best Project for Multimedia.
Apart from English language, the graphical user interface of the Audacity software program is translated into Arkansas, Arabic, Basque, Bulgarian, Catalan, Chinese (simplified) Chinese (traditional), Corsican, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French.
Also Galician, German, Greek, Hungarian, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Marathi, Norwegian (Bokmal), Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish, Ukrainian and in Welsh. That said, let’s go right ahead and see what features accompanies the Audacity audio editor.
Unique Features of Audacity
The following features make the Audacity audio editor a valuable and powerful tool for users:
- Audacity mac records live audio via a microphone or mixer, or digitize recordings from other media.
- Audacity for mac records computer playback on any Windows Vista or later machine.
- Converts tapes and records into digital recordings or CDs with ease.
- With Audacity mac, you can edit WAV, AIFF, FLAC, MP2, MP3 or Ogg Vorbis sound files.
- Supports AC3, M4A /M4R (AAC), WMA as well as other formats which are supported using optional libraries.
- Users can cut, copy, splice or mix sounds together with Audacity for Mac.
- Comes with numerous effects including change the speed or pitch of a recording.
- Import, edit, and combine sound files with Audacity. Export your recordings in many different file formats, including multiple files all at once.
- Now you can even write your own plug-in as Audacity offers support for LADSPA, LV2, Nyquist, VST and Audio Unit effect plug-ins. Nyquist effects can be easily modified in a text editor.
- Includes a spectrum view mode for visualizing and selecting frequencies. Plot Spectrum window for detailed frequency analysis.
- Users can fully manipulate tracks and selections using keyboard. There’s large range of keyboard shortcuts.
- There’s real time preview of LADSPA, LV2, VST, and Audio Unit (macOS) effects. Plug-in manager handles plug-in installation and addition/removal of effects and generators from the menus
- Enjoy easy editing with cut, copy, paste and delete. There’s also unlimited sequential Undo (and Redo) in the session to go back any number of steps.
Audacity audio editor falls short in the following areas:
- Audacity does not support instrument VST (VSTI) plugins.
- The Audacity audio editor only supports 32-bit or 64-bit VST audio effect plug-ins, depending on which architecture it was built for. However not both at the same time. It is built in 32-bit for Windows and 64-bit for macOS.
- Audacity mac does not natively import or export WMA, AAC, AC3 or most other proprietary or restricted file formats. However, an optional FFmpeg library is needed.
This audio editor, lacks dynamic equalizer controls as well as real time effects while recording.
To download the Audacity free easy-to-use audio editor visit the Audacity Team website at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/
You can also download the free Audacity audio editor for Windows, Mac or Linux from Audacity’s download partner FossHub. Audacity is free of charge, no registration or hardware purchase needed.