Covid-19 virus in the past months has become a household name, has all the social media, radio stations and Television Shows and broadcasting is all about Covid-19 Virus. This is a very serious issue that the world is contending with.
Covid-19 virus has claimed many lives since its outbreak in late 2019. This has made the World Health Organization declare is as a pandemic. Let’s show you how Covid-19 virus came about and how it is being spread.
Origin of the Virus
Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is an infectious disease caused by a new virus outbreak. The disease is a highly transmitted and pathogenic viral infection that is caused by Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), which originated from Wuhan in China and spread across the world. From research from Genomic analysis it has revealed that SARS – CoV-2 is phylogenetically related to severe acute respiratory Syndrome like (SARS-like) bat viruses. This means that bats could possibly be one of the primary reservoirs of the virus. The intermediate source of origin and transfer to humans is not known.
Also, Read CNN Breaking News and BuzzFeed App.
However, the rapid human to human transfer has been confirmed widely as a means of transmission. Also, there is no clinically approved antiviral drug or vaccine available to be used against Covid-19. A few spectra antiviral drugs that have been evaluated against COVID-19 in clinical trials has resulted in clinical recovery.
The Causes of Covid-19 Virus
The cause of Covid-19 is by the Severe acute respiratory syndrome SARS – CoV-2. It is basically spread from person to person transmissions at close contact and through respiratory droplets from Coughs and Sneezes. A study by investigating the rate of decay of the virus discovered that the Covid-19 virus can stay on different surfaces at a certain number of hours. In copper surface it can stay up to 4 hours. 24 hours on cardboard, 72 hours on stainless steel surface, 72 hours on plastic. The Covid-19 virus takes up to 14 days to really developed symptoms. It cannot be Transmit from the mother to the newborn.
How the Covid-19 Virus can be spread?
The Covid-19 virus can be spread through contact with an infected person when they cough or Sneezes. Common signs of Covid-19 Virus include Fever, cough and shortness of breath. When it is severe, the infection can cause pneumonia or breathing difficulties. In some cases the disease can be fatal.
According to the World Health Organization, Coronavirus originally emerged from an animal source but now seems to be spreading from person-to-person. People can catch the virus if they come in contact with droplets an infected person coughs and sneezes out. They can also catch it by touching surfaces where these droplets have fallen.
Prevention of Covid-19 Virus
There are some preventive measures one can take to keep safe from the virus. The following tips listed are on how to prevent it.
- Wash your hands thoroughly and frequently using soap and water or an alcohol-based hand rub
- Keep at least 1 meter (3 feet) distance between yourself and anyone who is coughing or sneezing
- Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth. Hands touch many surfaces and can pick up viruses. Then your hands can transfer the virus to your eyes, nose or mouth. From there, the virus can enter your body and can make you sick.
- Cover mouth and nose with flexed elbow or tissue when coughing or sneezing. Dispose of used tissue immediately where others won’t touch them
- Seek medical care early if you or your child has a fever, cough or difficulty breathing
- Make use of medical mask coughing or sneezing to protect others. If you don’t have any symptoms, then there is no need to wear a mask.
- Remember to dispose of used masks properly to avoid any increased risk of transmitting the virus.
With these preventive tips, you are sure to keep yourself safe from the virus.