Outlook Express formerly known as Microsoft Internet Mail has been discontinued. Thus you can no longer download OE from Microsoft and it’s no longer supported with regular bug and security patches. Howbeit OE is still available for download from Softpedia. OE is part of Internet Explorer in earlier versions Windows, and was later offered as a standalone software. Both Outlook Express and Microsoft Outlook both perform the same function of sending and receiving emails, although their codebase is entirely different from each other and they are separate programs. OE email client edition was released in Windows XP, after which it was discontinued and replaced by Windows Mail and was integrated with Windows Messenger.
What is Outlook Express Used For?
- Outlook Express is an email client that enables users save, send, receive and manage email messages.
How to Download
You can still download OE it from some sites, but you must understand that it only syncs with Windows XP and because it has not been updated in a very long time, it may likely suffer from many security issues.
How To Set Outlook Express as Your Default Email Client
If you have an old copy of Outlook Express, or are able to download it, they can still set it as the default Windows email program even though the service has been discontinued.
You can do this based on the version of Windows you are running.
How to Install Outlook Express
- Click open Microsoft Outlook Express
- Select“Accounts” from the Tools menu, which is the 4th drop down menu from the top left.
- Click on “Mail” button
- Click the “Add” button. Thereafter choose “Mail” from the menu that pops up.
- For the display name to use, enter the name you want to link with this email account. This should be your first name. Then, click on “Next”.
- For E-mail address, enter the full email address for this account
- Select the server type you will be using. Key in both the incoming and outgoing mail servers.
- For account name, enter your full email address. For password, enter the password you’ve set up for your email account. Select “Remember Password”, by placing a check in that box. (Optional). Then tap on “Next”.
- Click on the “Finish” option.
If you still want to download the Outlook Express, you can still do so and enjoy the benefits it offers.