Your router works more like a gate that keeps all your WIFI devices from Hackers, you can also choose to block many incoming new threats unless your Firmware is always up to date. Here I would be giving you details on how to update your router Firmware in other to enhance the performance of all your devices and further improve your home security.
In case you are not fully aware of what a Router Firmware is about, the preinstalled, embedded software that manages the control of routing protocols, administrative features, and the router’s security mechanism. Firmware happens to be the most essential software found on a router’s read-only memory (ROM).
Basically, just have it at the back of your mind that the software that runs on your Wi-Fi is known as “Firmware” it handles the regular update and the likes.
Router Firmware Update
Performing the Router Firmware update is not a hard thing to do. All you have to do is to follow the steps that I would be stating in this article for you. The steps include:
- First, connect your router to your computer using an Ethernet cable or whatever method is available to do it
- Then download the Firmware update from the website of the router manufacturer
- Then log in to your router web management page
- Right on that page, select the downloaded firmware in other to update your router
- Reboot your router in other to complete the upgrade.
How to Update Wifi Router
In other to update your Router’s Firmware, type in your Router’s IP address into the web browser and then enter your login details. Then locate the Firmware or update section and download the latest update firmware on your Router Manufacture’s website. Once this is done, upload the update and reboot the router for the update to take effect fully.
In case you are not aware, The numbers indicated on the Default Gateway section is your router’s IP Address. In this article, I would be giving you the steps involved in how to find router IP address.
How to Find Router IP Address on Windows
- Enter your IP address into your Web browser or check your router for the address
- Click on the “start” menu
- Type in “network status”
- Go to the top right of the screen and select the name of your current connection
- Tap on the “details” tab, on the fresh page
- Locate the IPv4 default gateway entry
on Apple router
- Locate your Web browser and enter your router IP address
- Tap on the “Apple” menu
- Click on the “system preference” tab
- Pres “network” widget
- Go to the left frame and select the active connection
- Tap the “Advanced” button
- Click the “TCP/IP” link
How to Install Router Firmware Updates
Follow the steps below to install your router update. the steps might seem long, but it is very effective.
- Connect to the router using Ethernet
- Key in routers IP address into your Web browser
- Type in your Admin username and password
- Open the “firmware router upgrade page
- Click on the “check” tab to see if there’s an available update
- Download the latest firmware files, if displayed on the screen
- In case you found no link, you can go to the manufacturer support site
- Key in your router model into the support site search
- Find the current firmware files and download
- Double click on the “ZIP file”
- Tap on the “extract” link
- On your router update page Tap on the “choose file” widget
- Select your newly extracted file
- Click on the “upload” link
With these steps, you are done and set to enjoy your Router Update.